Pin111Share292TweetShareWhatsAppEmail403 Shares Jump to Recipe
Who doesn’t love a simple potato salad? In fact, what is there not to love? Creamy and comforting, warm or cold, it’s as delicious as it is versatile. This simple vegan potato salad is one of my favourite things to eat at any time of the year!
If you’re watching your weight, then you’ll be pleased to know that adding the veganaise to the potatoes while they are still warm means they will absorb more of the flavour and creaminess, so you can use a bit less mayo than you might normally… ergo, fewer calories.
Who says that losing weight means boring food?
Ingredients for vegan potato salad
This recipe only requires a handful of basic ingredients:
- waxy potatoes
- red onion
- smoked paprika
- sea salt
How to make potato salad
- Wash the potatoes – no need to peel – then cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Cook in boiling water for 15 mins or so, until soft.
- Peel and finely dice or chop the onion.
- Drain the potatoes, place into a large bowl, and mix in the vegan mayo. Make sure every chunk is coated.
- Stir in most of the onion, reserving a little for the garnish.
- Sprinkle over some smoked paprika and the remaining onion, and leave to cool.
- You can either serve this potato salad warm, or leave it to go cold first.
Tips and notes
- You need to cook the potatoes until they are soft enough to stick a fork in… but not so soft they fall apart!
- This potato salad will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
- While this potato salad is not suitable for freezing, it can be made into fantastic roast potatoes!
For variety, you could use sliced spring onion, white onion, or shallots instead of red onion (or as well as – hey, live a little!). Why not chuck in some chives too, while you’re at it? You could also add edible flowers (chive, rocket, nasturtium, etc.) – I’m particularly fond of these because they add such colour (and taste good too).
Sadly, because we’re currently living in a flat, I no longer have a garden, so I can’t grow edible flowers any more. Occasionally however, we do visit places where I find things growing wild, which – ahem – may end up in a meal or two. For example, these wild rocket flowers I found in Greece…
Click the links on the pics for more vegan salads!
You’ll love my simple vegan potato salad
- creamy and comforting
- quick and easy to make
- free from gluten, soy, and nuts
- equally great when eaten warm or cold
- easy to make leftovers into amazing roasties!
- really delicious (of course!)
Serve this potato salad with lots of green leaves, some kind of protein, and a few baby plum tomatoes, sprinkle some seeds over the top, and voilà – a perfect quick and easy salad for even the busiest of days!